RE: (erielack) Latest Diamond Photo of DL&W "F5" 8451

Prior to the merger, Lackawanna had assigned several of the F3/F5's to Boonton Line trains after they moved the Trainmasters to freight service.  The F's usually ran A-A back to back making "The Lakeland" seem line a through line express as it raced through Mountain View at around 60.  One f was teamed with a GP7 for an extended period running the four Branchville trains beginning with 1009 leaving early in the morning returning with the mid-day mail and then running the first commuter train out of Hoboken back to Branchville and then returnning without passengers, just milk to drop off in Orange.  After the merger, the F's seemed to disappear.  I saw them in the '66 era pulling freights.  I assumed the EL ultimately pulled them off passenger duties.  Weren't they traded back to EMD around '68 for new power?

Ed Montgomery