Re: (erielack) Hoboken Shore/EL (was: Interline Switching Waybill)

In a message dated 12/17/2009 10:13:49 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
paul.tupaczewski_@_alcatel-lucent.com writes:

So...  how exactly does THAT work? The Maxwell House plant wasn't really nea
r any EL  trackage - it sat squarely in the middle of the HSRR "system"
(such as that  is). Isn't Maxwell House an HSRR customer? I think I know what
you're saying,  but what are the machinations involved in this?

I would have assumed  that, as part of the route from Maxwell House to
General Foods, the HSRR was  the first link in that path and it would
accordingly get a (very small)  percentage of the line haul fee? Am I mistaken here?
And does this mean  that pretty much every customer on the HSRR was an EL
customer, with the HSRR  only acting as a terminal switching railroad?

Paul ( and list )

From my limited knowledge (post EL) of how this worked, you are correct in
all of your assumptions.

YS&T Campbell Works was an EL customer but was located on the P&LE,  LE&E
and PRR.  Cars were delivered to the P&LE and they performed  the switching
for EL and received a flat rate per loaded car.  The same  held true for
Republic at Warren.....customer for PRR, B&O and EL but  B&O performed all the
switching.  Other instances, Valley Mold at  Hubbard---EL customer and was
located on the NYC and NYC performed the  switching, including the handling of
the hot metal bottles.  Westinghouse  at Sharon, was an EL customer as well
as PRR (and possibly P&LE).   Located on the PRR, switched by PRR, but
P&LE, EL, PRR and NYC had rights to  the traffic by reciprocal switching.  Rates
and operations varied at all  locations but your assumptions are correct
from what I know.

I'll post some information on breakdown of charges for this type of move
later today.  It is an example of a car moving from J&L in Pgh to  J&L in
Aliquippa via the P&LE with a shortline at each end.  I  believe that is the
example and it comes from a long time, recently retired  former PC-Conrail-NS
stations guy.

SMT