RE: (erielack) Hoboken Shore/EL (was: Interline Switching Waybill)

SMT wrote:

> Most likely Maxwell House was an EL customer and the HSRR
> performed switching service for the EL at that point and
> received a flat rate for  switching loaded railroad cars,
> much like the PRR did at the delivering  end.
>
> EL collected the revenue and kept it all, except for flat
> switching charges  to the HSRR at Hoboken and to the PRR at
> Youngstown.

So... how exactly does THAT work? The Maxwell House plant wasn't really near any EL trackage - it sat squarely in the middle of the HSRR "system" (such as that is). Isn't Maxwell House an HSRR customer? I think I know what you're saying, but what are the machinations involved in this?

I would have assumed that, as part of the route from Maxwell House to General Foods, the HSRR was the first link in that path and it would accordingly get a (very small) percentage of the line haul fee? Am I mistaken here?  And does this mean that pretty much every customer on the HSRR was an EL customer, with the HSRR only acting as a terminal switching railroad?