(erielack) RE:Hoboken Shore/EL (was: Interline Switching Waybill)

Paul, et al -

Sorry if this has already been covered in recent posts. What you are inquiring about is, I believe, called Reciprocal Switching. In the NY Harbor area (and really from what I can tell, any large urban area) had many such areas like this. What it boils down to is that certain industries either allowed/gave/arranged to have more than one railroad switch the industry, regardless of weather the factory was located on the PRR in Jersey City, the Erie still had the ability to serve it directly. This wouldn't be like the Erie having the ability to directly switch a customer in Bayonne (even though it potentially had access to it via the National Docks), but more like the Erie switching a company that was located in say the Marion section of Jersey City, where the tracks of PRR and Erie were all but side by side, and said industry was located literally across the street. I believe some if not most of these old switching agreements go back to the old days of
 leased railroads, and joint operations, etc. Case in point - The Erie-NYS&W situation, or the CNJ-RRRR operation. The HBSR was, at least in the early years of the Port Authority, considered part of "Belt Line 13", and thus part of a large, "open-access" terminal railroad. Belt Line 13 was in effect, the LV National Docks from Bayonne, all the way to the NYS&W at Edgewater. This was the PA's attempt to operate of unified terminal RR operation, but as we all know, the respective railroads kept control of their own trackage. But it is for this very reason why I believe the HBSR and Maxwell House were treated this way in your initial inquiry. Now in the case of the Raritan River, while the CNJ did not directly switch any industries along the line, said industries were considered part of the CNJ's rate when it came down to billing. And a perfect example of all this is of course, the aforementioned National Docks Branch, and the Bayshore Branch in Jersey
 City, which allowed the CNJ. LV and PRR to all switch many of the same companies directly. In the end, as I said, a lot of all this comes down to paperwork. A good breakdown of all this in regards to understanding it in order to model it was covered in the OpSIG journal The Dispatcher's Office a few years back.

Ralph Heiss