From: "Janet & Randy Brown" <jananran_@_mymailstation.com>
Subject: Re:Milk Traffic; was: (erielack) More EL in Massachusetts!

It's a little misleading to compare the labor intensity of rail milk trsffic
with truck movement, when a 20-car milk train with a crew of five was
replaced by 40 or 50 trucks with an crew equivalent of 40 or 50 men
(drivers), even accounting for the handling at origin and destination,
because much of that handling happened anyway.

As has been mentioned time and again, a major factor was our decision as a
culture to tax the railroads for their land and improvements and then funnel
that revenue into highway improvements which fostered truck transportation,
to the railroads' detriment.

And -- the image of the slow, plodding "milk run" wasn't fully accurate,
either.  Once assembled, the milk train was often one of the fastest on the
road because of the perishability of the lading.  Today's milk was expected
on tomorrow's breakfast table hundreds of miles away.

I wonder how the economics are holding up in this day of $5.00 diesel and
the need to repair or replace the Interstate Highway System.  The milk still
moves, after all.

Randy Brown