Re: (erielack) Portage Bridge & common Sense

Schuyler
I can see this going off topic real quick, so this is the last posting I
will submit on this, but YOU are the one that is not aware of the whole
scenario. Your nimby mentality on this with the thoughts that  the RR has a moral
obligation to take into consideration trust  passers just isn't realistic. After
riding the rails for 30 years on  roughly 900 miles of RR  I will RESTATE that
the railroads can't  and shouldn't start posting speed restrictions at every
place where trust  passers have been known to exist on a regular basis. I do
not have to have been  to the Portage Bridge to state this. Trust passers
actually exist  everywhere, but I can name you dozens of places that railfans,
fisherman, short  cutters, drunks, lovers and Sunday afternoon strollers frequent,
but the RR can't start slowing trains down 24 Hours a day, 365 days a year
because trust passers may or may not be around the bend.  THAT'S common  sense!
 We are NOT the ruthless killers with no regard to  human life you are
implying we are if we hit them because we should have  known that they  may or may
not be there.  Common Sense or  the LACK there of, always lies with those who
go onto active RR tracks, let  alone a single track bridge. Be it Adults, kids,
baby's, paraplegics,  orphans, refugees, in the day, night, 100% solar
eclipses, ice storms, 36  inch snow falls or any other circumstance you feel the RR
should  ALWAYS  take into account. Oh we forgot  to mention   ( the old stand
by  ) a crossing near by that a school bus also goes over twice a day.

 Sooooo, my one and only post here ( when things started to become a  little
unrealistic ) was to find out the actual reason for the 10 MPH,  which I
suspected  all along was 100% because of the bridge and NOT because  of the other
illogical things that started to creep into the thread.  Since the alignment
hasn't changed in the last 100 years, it has  nothing to do with curves nor is
it that one of the largest RR  company's in the world has a couple of thousand
middle and upper management  employees that are all without one stitch of
common sense. As John Doe RRers me  and my colleges often concur with that latter
statement, but NOT in this  case.  I think it's the entire NS and before that
CR Engineering  Dept from the VP down to the local inspectors that know the
structural integrity  of the bridge. Obviously the size and magnitude of
replacing such a bridge  is a VERY, VERY big project ( investment ), that they have
been putting off and  simply living with the 10 MPH restriction. The bridge
will inevitable get replaced.  I think if it was a rebuild  situation it would
have been done a long time ago. Although I have no  inside information that
tells me so, I think replace is probable what's on  the drawing boards. End of
story!

Bob Bahrs

PS  I don't ever remember a speed restriction at the west end of  Starrucca
viaduct, but I bet engineers have  had to do a LOT of  horn blowing there over
the years.

In a message dated 8/19/2008 12:40:54 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,