RE: (erielack) Erie 4-4-2 (now OT)

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 Walter Smith typed:

>  Many years ago (1971) when I left the EL to move to Fla. & work the
> Auto-Train out of Sanford, one of our brakeman was a native of the area &
> after we got the (big) train out of town, we got in his car & drove to just
> northeast of Orlando (Oviedo I think). At the time, this was a relatively
> undeveloped area and he turned into a dirt road. We drove in for a few
> hundred feet and came to a grade crossing of VERY small track. As we
> approached, the blinkers began to flash & we stopped to permit a 4-4-2 like
> the one in the video to steam out of the palmetto bushes and disappear over
> a trestle on the other side. Nick & I continued to the house where there was
> a water tank, sand tower, siding and small 2-stall enginehouse. About this
> time, the engine put in an appearance and after taking water, we were
> invited to sit in the gons and ride around the property. The little Atlantic
> barked out of the service area and we rode the well-maintaiined track thru
> the piiney woods & palmettos. When we left, I told Nick (my yard conductor)
> that the track was in better shape than the EL mainliine.
>  What I'm wondering is if this is the same layout. There can only be SO
> MANY 4-4-2s running around in 1 ft guage. Henry, is this guy near Orlando???
>
> Regards,
>
> Walt Smith

Walt,

The BCRR is in Ft. Myers. The 4-4-2 is a common wheel arrangement in 7-1/4 and
7-1/2 gauges thanks to a model produced by "Little Engines."  The BCRR has at
least two of them that run there.

Sound like you met the late John Cassidy, his Possum Flats and Eastern RR
and his Atlantic in Maitland, about 11 miles west of Oviedo. Do the photos at
this link look at all familiar?

http://forums.railfan.net/?board=LiveSteam;num=1146234796;start=312#312

John Cassidy was the guy who got Bruce Raykiewicz into the live steam hobby.
After Bruce rode behind John's 1969 Atlantic in 1971, he was hooked! Bruce now
own the Possum Flats and Eastern caboose.

Small world, huh?

Henry

J. Henry Priebe Jr.    Blue Moon Internet Corp Network Administrator
www.bluemoon.net       Internet Access & Web Hosting
www.railfan.net        Railfan Network Services