Re: (erielack) Re: CNJ Interchange

> Erie/EL had no need for significant interchange with NYNH&H via NY Harbor
> float because of the direct interchange at Maybrook. PRR, CNJ, LV and DL&W

PaulB - -

What I'm interested in learning is why the Erie did any float business with
the NH at all, given the Maybrook Gateway (at least 1908-1960). The others
are pretty obvious, including the DL&W (and LV for that matter)
short-hauling itself delivering freight to the O&W instead of the L&HR, for
example.

But the Erie going in the other direction -- adding expense for the float
move is not so intuitive, et alone any good historical reason found in
tariffs or general operating practices that I've seen.

IIRC, Supt Martel tried to get rid of as much float (and marine) business as
possible in the 1920s, for example -- to the extent of provoking a strike
when he tried to outsource it. But if that was the gneral goal, why any such
interchange at all?

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie
ELHS #1296