(erielack) Re: CNJ Interchange

Okay, I'm a little confused here. According to Paul's "Big MAp", and other
maps, the NAtional Docks ran as far north as Jersey City, at approximately
the location of Erie's tracks into JC. Here it interchanged with the West
Shore which came south from Weehawken. Running north from JC was an Erie
branch (River Line?) which paralleled the WS-NYC but there was no physical
connection between the two until Weehawken, correct? So for CNJ to connect
with EL at Weehawken, it must have had trackage rights over the ND from
Phillips St to JC and then over NYC to Weehawken. So the prior information
that CNJ-EL interchange in this area was limited to carfloat was wrong.

Why would the Waldo connection disrupt EL operations at Hoboken? The ex-Erie
line and NYC are shown as separate through there. If in fact the route was
joint trackage, why did EL-CNJ interchange have to take place all the way up
in Weehawken? Also, why did the Nave connection which bypassed the ND slow
traffic on the ND?

Paul B

IIRC, National Docks became a several-days long trip for some months
(years?) after Penn Central opened that trestle-on-a-curve connection at
CP-Nave.

Jim Guthrie
ELHS 1296

>CNJ interchanged traffic with EL and NYC at Weehawken via
>the National Docks Branch. Around the time that SE98 and
>ES99 were established, EL requested CNJ reroute this traffic
>via Lake Junction for "operating convenience".   In confirming
>this account today with (then) CNJ VPO Gordon Fuller, he was
>unable to shed any light on why EL requested this circuitous
>routing of traffic.
>
>                                                       Bill Sheppard

 No question that the River Line through Hoboken was a
nightmare to navigate after the Waldo Connection was
built by PC. Although CNJ was responsible for delivering
and pulling EL traffic at Weehawken, the delays to traffic
interchanged this way could have prompted EL and
CNJ to reroute this traffic via Lake Junction instead.

In speculating about this matter, I recall around this time
that CNJ also put the clamps on overhead PC traffic moving
via the National Docks Branch across the diamonds at Phillips
Street Interlocking (which CNJ controlled).

                                                            Bill Sheppard