RE: (erielack) What is wrong with this picture?

  When this shot was presented to the ELHS in Parsippany, it was as
being 1946. The slide was offered as a part of a set of duplicate slides
by Al Chione a number of years ago. It is NOT Photoshop, but I think it
shows a work in progress as they tried to decide how to deal with a high
incidence of crossing accidents involving black diesels running in
daytime without headlights lit (yet).

Larry

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 11:28 PM, Schuyler Larrabee wrote:

>>> First off, that photo is so small, how can you really tell?
>>>
>>> And attached is an example of another wreck repair - this one is
>>> missing the "wing" to the left of the nose door. A similar
>> "effect" as
>>> the other photo, no?
>>
>> No.
>>
>> Look at all the yellow paint on top of the nose, along the
>> top of the side, the width of the stripe under the radiator
>> band, and along the sill.  Now, go look at the other photo.
>> Virtually none of that stuff is there, as it was not on the
>> as-delivered paint scheme for FTs.
>
> So then, we have a mystery. The slide is (a) supposedly taken in 1956,
> and
> (b) features the top of the as-delivered scheme (with the thin yellow
> band
> under the windshield, and the lower part of a post-1946 scheme (when
> the
> "original scheme" FTs got their full yellow bib treatment.
>
> My guess? A Photoshop job, or some wiseacre in the paint shops having
> some
> fun. Since this is supposed to be 1956, ten years after the "full bib"
> standardization, I can't imagine this is one that "got away" and was
> later
> partially "bibbed."
>
> 	- Paul

TEN years, right?  There is your answer.  It's not a 1956 photo, it's a
1946 photo.  The date is
wrong.

In '56, "some wiseacre" would, I think, have lost his job.  That would
take a crew to pull off.
(Yeah, I'm aware of the story about the Lackawanna streamlined Pacific's
three-color paint job being
an "inside job" by a roundhouse crew, but I barely believe that, too.)
Larry DeYoung writes me that
there are two shots of this locomotive, not just one (so, Photoshop?  I
don't think so) and that
they were shown at a Parsippany meeting a few years ago.  They are Al
Chione-owned pictures.

I think it's a transitional paint job, testing out the new design
without a full-blown application.
They're seeing if it is more visible than the straight black version.
All they had to do was add
the "bibs" above and below the diamond-plus-wings which was already on
there.

SGL