Re: FW: RE: FW: CNJ Interchange; was: RE: (erielack) GL/Boonton, Lincoln Park Siding

The EL published a tarriff that was called a routing guide. All routes where listed in this tariff. It still included DLW and EL routes in different sections of the tariff.
Bob Stafford

- --- On Wed, 8/6/08, Schuyler Larrabee <schuyler.larrabee_@_verizon.net> wrote:

From: Schuyler Larrabee <schuyler.larrabee_@_verizon.net>
Subject: FW: RE: FW: CNJ Interchange; was: RE: (erielack) GL/Boonton, Lincoln Park Siding
To: "'EL Mail List'" <erielack_@_lists.railfan.net>
Date: Wednesday, August 6, 2008, 5:54 PM

I forwarded this question to a friend in my model railroad club, who once worked
for the NYC, and is
pretty knowledgeable about this stuff about routes.  I've edited his reply
a bit for brevity, and to
eliminate some stuff about the Chesapeake System, our club's model
railroad.  Anyhow . . .

> 	Schuyler Larrabee <schuyler.larrabee_@_verizon.net> wrote:
>
> 		* This is useful, thanks! Here's a question I've always
wondered: Is there
> 		* a list of "standard routings" for the EL? Let's say a
car has to get
> 		* from NJ to Decatur, IL - what was the most commonly used route? EL-
>
> 		This is another useful thing for modelers to put on car cards to let
their crews
know how to move the
> cars.
> 		==========
>
> 		Assuming we are talking about EL-WAB, tariff junctions would be Buffalo,
Huntington
and Chicago.
> If you add NKP, then Cleveland would qualify.
>
> 	It's hard to say what would be "standard routings".  For
Decatur, EL's preferred junction
would be Chicago, for
> its long haul.  Looking at it from the WAB point of view, Buffalo would be
preferred.  But for a
WAB empty, EL
> would prefer Buffalo and for an EL empty, WAB would prefer Chicago.
>
> 	But most loads were routed by shippers using what many of us referred to
as service routes.
DL&W-Buffalo-
> WAB was probably a service route and probably remained one after the El
merger.
ERIE-Huntington-WAB was a
> through route for mail cars, but was it a good service connection for
freight ?

> 	Whether Chicago was a good service junction depends on volume.
Connections that warranted
through blocks
> or had enough volume to drive a schedule had the better services that were
not part of the famous
Chicago congestion
> picture.
>
> 	Go a bit further and look at southern IN and IL to St. Louis and beyond.
Then you have
Buffalo, Dunkirk,
> Cleveland, Kent, Creston, Lima, Decatur, Huntington, Kingsland, Rochester
and Chicago.  Those in
bold are the routes
> shown as principle connections on the old Erie map.  The only routes we
are certain were service
routes are Buffalo and
> Chicago.  Cleveland and Huntington seem like reasonable possibilities,
being the only others that
are main line points for
> both railroads.
>
> Malcolm Laughlin