Re: (erielack) Former EL Cities on This Sad List

Without going into detail, I agree with Henry's response.  I can't speak for
the other cities on that list but I know what I see in Scranton.

Regarding Scranton's unemployment rate, it's in the 5% range, perhaps 5.7%,
slightly above the PA average but not by much.  A very far cry from the way
things were years ago.

It is true that for decades, Scranton had no leadership with a vision for the
future.  It really was on the verge of being "down and out."  Thus, many of
us moved away.  It's a very different city these days.  It has leadership,
planners and has done a great job using its past to promote its future.

Scranton now has its annual Hispanic Day Parade and while not as large as the
two long-established ethnic parades (Irish and Italian), it shows that
Scranton embraces its new blood.

Last weekend, the city had its fourth annual jazz festival with all
activities taking place downtown.  As part of the festival, you were able to go from
place to place, hear a set and move on to the next venue, all at night walking
downtown streets.  It was a real treat for jazz lovers.

Slowly but surely, old downtown art deco buildings are being refurbished into
lofts and condos.  Cyber cafes and art galleries are opening and at the same
time, you can still go to a place like the Coney Island Diner for their
classic wieners.  Granted, the Coney Island was a victim of arson a few months ago,
but they haven't thrown in the towel.

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre is also home to the AHL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
and to the triple A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees (one level below the Bronx).

While it takes time to reinvent oneself, Scranton certainly appears to be on
the right track and once rail passenger service on the former EL resumes, a
city that was once counted out will continue to grow.

So, if Scranton is supposedly one of America's "fastest dying cities," why
are companies locating there and why are people moving in?

Rick

Read reviews on AOL Autos.