Re: (erielack) Earle Gil EL photos, group 4

Spike kegs was my first reaction also. The only other thing it might be
would be goods that spilled out from the loaded box cars and hadn't been
cleaned up yet. The pictures brings back at lot of memories. This was the 99
wreck at Rundel's curve just East of Black Rock cut. My father worked for
the EL police dept. I was 16 at the time. He was on duty that night and the
engineer was able to radio the Yard B office that they were going on the
ground and then there was silence. My father entered the right-of-way at was
known as Tri-State's in Port Jervis (which was East of the Neversink River
bridge and the overpass for Horn road) and drove East on the service road
until he encountered the derailment.  The derailment involved 4 units and
something on the order of 75 cars on the ground. His first response was to
determine the fate of the crew. The head end crew consisted of the engineer,
fireman and head brakeman. The conductor and flag were in the caboose. The
head end crew was pretty banged up but with assistance from my father they
were able to walk to and enter the police car. He then proceeded back West
to Port Jervis and the hospital but was not able to contact Yard B or PO on
the car radio until he cleared Black Rock cut. He told them of the
derailment, its extent as best he could determine in the dark, that they
needed to contact the fire dept. because some of the locomotives were on
fire and he was proceeding to the hospital. The next day he took me with him
up to the site. The sight still sticks in my mind. At the time it was
described as the most expensive wreck in the history of either the Erie or
Lackawanna and had a lot of controversy involved in its cause and rumors
surrounding some of the loads involved.