RE: (erielack) Will we ever see a HO Scale SDP45 in plastic???

  Paul (and list),
- -------------- Original message ----------------------
From: "Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul)" <paultup_@_alcatel-lucent.com>

> I still think it could be a viable commercial model, but with the
> economy softening, I think most manufacturers will be taking a closer
> look at what is "viable" for them to make. Ultimately, it's their
> decision (and their tens-of-thousands of $$$ going into the molds)

Well, from my biased personal perspective, of course it is a viable commercial model!!!

Speaking of viable commercial models and how expensive it must be to make molds, drives, trucks, and the like, I would like to know who it is at Athearn that thinks that an HO Scale model of a UP gas turbine will sell enough to cover the cost of manufacturing.  Huh?

It gives the impression that in the end, what gets produced is still somewhat subject to the whims of the people that control the purse strings.  Athearn, being a California-based company, has always seemed to have a "western bias" in my opinion.  Who wants to lay odds that someone important in that company likes the UP?  Then again, we probably got the SD45-2 and the FP45 because the ATSF had a bunch of them, and the GP40X and SD45T-2 because of the SP.

That said, the fact that the SP owned SDP45s, and that EL-versions were also eventually painted for SP and UP, might just give us all a fighting chance.  Not to mention that the "guts" are basically done as well.

Let the campaign begin!

- -pat