RE: (erielack) Will we ever see a HO Scale SDP45 in plastic???

> I had thought about this. It used to be the dynamic brake
> housing on Athearn models were a snap in affair. I'm alittle
> out of touch so I don't know if they still are. But my
> thought there is it would be as simple as taking an athearn
> GP40-2 dynamic brake blister and popping it on a athearn
> GP38-2 shell and boom you've got a GP39-2.

Not quite as easy, unfortunately. But in the past 20 years or so, the
technology of "partial" or segmented molds allows you to insert a
different mold into a larger body. This is how come manufacturers today
are able to add detail variations for different railroads.

Unfortunately, it's not quite that easy for the EL. Athearn's EL SD45-2
has a specific shell with low fans (although a lot of the other
low-profile details - like the exhaust stack - are separate parts), so
more than likely an EL SDP45 would have to be a separate shell.

I still think it could be a viable commercial model, but with the
economy softening, I think most manufacturers will be taking a closer
look at what is "viable" for them to make. Ultimately, it's their
decision (and their tens-of-thousands of $$$ going into the molds)