Re: (erielack) Will we ever see a HO Scale SDP45 in plastic???

I had thought about this. It used to be the dynamic brake housing on Athearn models were a snap in affair. I'm alittle out of touch so I don't know if they still are. But my thought there is it would be as simple as taking an athearn GP40-2 dynamic brake blister and popping it on a athearn GP38-2 shell and boom you've got a GP39-2.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: pat.moore_@_att.net<mailto:pat.moore@att.net>
  To: EL Mail List<mailto:erielack_@_lists.railfan.net>
  Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2008 2:45 PM
  Subject: Re: (erielack) Will we ever see a HO Scale SDP45 in plastic???

  Yeah, I'm sure most of the EL modelers would agree with you.  It could happen, I suppose, but I wouldn't pine away.  Athearn would be the logical choice of a manufacturer to go after, because they already have the underframe, trucks, and drive train.  All they would have to do is re-tool the fuel tank of the new Genesis FP45 and all the guts are there.  All they really need to do is come up with the shell.  Heck, that's all the kitbashers need to do as well.  The Genesis FP-45 is what I'm going to use for the guts of my SDP45, when I get around to it.  I've got it kind of low on my list just in case Athearn decides there might be a market.

  It might just boil down to whether or not someone wants to do a locomotive that has never been done before.  If Walthers can give us an RS27 and Atlas can give us an RS36, and Athearn can do an EL-specific SD45-2, then there is hope that Athearn would give us an SDP45.  It's too bad that Rail Power never did a shell because maybe then we'd already have it, like with the SD45-2.  There really isn't much else out there that hasn't been done before, I mean, they certainly won't do the really obscure stuff like the RS1325, NW5, SDL39, or GP28.  Perhaps the GP39-2 or the C430?

  -pat

  From: matt fisher <fisherkj2002_@_yahoo.com<mailto:fisherkj2002@yahoo.com>>

  I sure wish one of the major model companies would make a plastic SDP45.
  Athearn would be a good choice since they have been doing alot of EL stuff of
  late (SD45-2, SD45, RS3, GP35, Ext. Post Trailers, BW Cabooses, boxcars,
  etc...).  Maybe we (the ELHS) could get Athearn or one of the other's to do a