(erielack) Erie yellow

[A. From Joe Braun: We know that Erie yellow was stock Dupont Dulux Yellow
9356.  B. Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2008 From: Randy Brown What did DL&W use, and
which did EL use? What do various decal makers use? How close can home-made
(color printer) decals come?

There are many answers out there re color but, as we have discussed here
before, color perception is influenced by the very lighting in one's train
room. The "correct" color for the sunlit prototype may not look correct
under florescents. We know also that in real life Erie yellow faded and
bleached in part from natural weathering and in part from the acid wash that
the Erie used on its diesels. The article in the UPHS periodical that I
referred to mentioned that UP yellow also was subject to whitening and
fading, especially when the UP was trying all sorts of paints with fewer
VOCs. A yellow that looks good is the best place to start. Decal
manufacturers have differences in their yellows, any of which might look
good in isolation; the most important factor is to have decals and paint
that are reasonable matches. I thought of how the master oil painters never
had Pantone values or the like but mixed on their palette until they had
what they wanted.

Re what was DLW and EL yellow, I could use refresher info myself.

I worked once professionally with a very wise clergyman who insisted to his
flock to "never leave your brains behind when listening to anyone's sermon."
The same could be said for any piece of information and writing in this
hobby of ours -- including this very email of mine. In the July/Aug 1980
Mainline Modeler there was an "ERIE Diesel Painting Guide" by Bruce Meyer
with a drawing by Bob Hundman and 10 photos, all B&W. The text kept
instructing about Erie "black with GOLD trim...gold wings... gold on the
nose... gold bottom stripe... imitation gold lettering. WRONG! Gold or
imitation gold it was not: that complement to the black was simply stock
Dulux Yellow, however one wants to represent it on a model.

Joe Braun