- -------------- Original message ----------------------
From: Robert Stafford <erielack1_@_yahoo.com>

All agents did a daily yard check of all the cars in your station. I was
normally done in the morning. You walked all the tracks in the station and wrote
down the car numbers by track name, their location on the tracks, who they where
consigned to and if they where empty or loaded. On Mondays you had to go out and
check all of the out laying stations that you where responsible for. You got
> paid mileage to drive and do this.

When I went to work for the Burlington Northern we did the same thing, a bit
different form, but still had the same information on it. On the BN also on
Mondays you went out and checked all of your out laying tracks. When I was the
agent at Des Moines, NM on Mondays I would ride with the track inspector to
check my out laying tracks. We would put on the rail at MP: 261 right at the
Colorado New Mexico border and high rail the 85 to 90 miles to Texline, Texas. I