RE: (erielack) Erie yellow

> There are many answers out there re color but, as we have
> discussed here before, color perception is influenced by the
> very lighting in one's train room. The "correct" color for
> the sunlit prototype may not look correct under florescents.
> We know also that in real life Erie yellow faded and bleached
> in part from natural weathering and in part from the acid
> wash that the Erie used on its diesels. The article in the
> UPHS periodical that I referred to mentioned that UP yellow
> also was subject to whitening and fading, especially when the
> UP was trying all sorts of paints with fewer VOCs. A yellow
> that looks good is the best place to start. Decal
> manufacturers have differences in their yellows, any of which
> might look good in isolation; the most important factor is to
> have decals and paint that are reasonable matches. I thought
> of how the master oil painters never had Pantone values or
> the like but mixed on their palette until they had what they wanted.

One thing that I'd love to see is someone provide Pantone color matches
for the original Erie/DL&W (and EL, for that matter) colors. Pantone is
an international standard, and it would really be useful. Most model
manufacturers base their model paints on Pantone colors as well.

But as Joe points out, what color is "correct" might certainly look
wrong in the lighting situation of your basement. :)