Re: (erielack) Port Morris, BH-12, BH-8

Jim and List,

I stand corrected on the BH-8 routing; since it and BH-12 had similar Scranton-PM running times and classifications, I assumed BH-8 also took the Old Road; that's what you get for assuming  8^) . As you know, the 1961 schedule is condensed and has no stations listed between the two points. BTW Jim, my emails to you keep getting kicked back.

Paul B

From: "JG at graytrainpix" <graytrainpix_@_hotmail.com>
Subject: (erielack) Port Morris, BH-12, BH-8

Paul,

You indicate that the 1961 EL freight plan had BH-8 as well as BH-12
operating via the Old Road.  I was under the impression that the 1961 plan
mostly reflected pre-merger practices.  In each of the DLW freight schedules
I've seen from the 1950s, (1954, from Taber 20th Century book 1; 1956,
courtesy of Jon Lile's great web site; and 1960, from George Elwood's
equally great site), there is a note about BH-12 running the Old Road, but
no such note for BH-8.  Also, they indicate that BH-8's slow running time is
largely taken getting from Scranton to E. Stroudsburg; 5 hrs 15 min in 1960,
vs. 2:45 for BH-4, 2:55 for NE-4, and 3:30 for BH-12.  From E. Stroudsburg
to Port Morris, BH-8 takes 2:35, versus BH-12's 3:45 via the Old Road.  BH-8
is probably doing doing what PN-98 and SC-8 did on the later EL, i.e.
working at Tobyhanna and Stroudsburg.  The 1956 classifications show BH-8
taking Portland cars as well as BH-12, but BH-8 could have set them off at
Slateford, or left its train at Slateford Jct. to run the setoff down to
Portland, then come back to run the balance of the train via the Cut-Off.
Many EL trains did that.