From: Jedalberg_@_aol.com [mailto:Jedalberg@aol.com]
Sent: Sunday, April 08, 2007 7:59 PM
To: erielack_@_lists.elhts.org
Subject: (erielack) Re: EL Mail List Digest V3 #2344

Re: Showers
I don't think there were any cars on the railroads with showers, except
for the very few expensive accomodations on the 20th C and a few other
trains. The  prospect of a transcontinental journey, without something
other than a French  whore's bath, could be daunting, especially in the
days before A/C. But, then in  the olden days many folks only bathed
once a week; somebody didn't just make up  the term "Saturday night
bath" out of the blue. This can still be the case in  other places,
where they aren't as fanatical as we are with the deodorant (I've  been
in some places where I wished they were-some times it would make your
eyes  water).

Anyway, the way it worked for many folks was that when you got to the
big intercity terminals, like Union Station, and probably others in
Chicago, you rented a shower/dressing room, for $3 or so for an hour.,
showered, changed and generally felt good  Still a long trip across the
country from Chgo to the west coast.I did this twice, once in '62
enroute to Okinawa for a year. I took the EL Ltd from Dover to Chicago
(it had the Tavern Lounge then, which I rode  all the way to Meadville,
except for dinner), then cross-towned in the limo service-there were
several stations then. My train, the CZ didn't leave 'til 330  or so, so
I visited All-Nation Hobby Shop, then back to the station for a  shower,
then boarded the train. Did same thing in' 69 enroute to RVN. except I
took the Broadway, and the Denver Z., then finally the Super Chief l
Some of the big overseas airports, like Heathrow, and Johannisburg have
these amenities; probably unlikely in this country-we can't even provide
decent public toilets.

Jim