(erielack) Re: EL Mail List Digest V3 #2344

Re: Showers
I don't think there were any cars on the railroads with showers, except for
the very few expensive accomodations on the 20th C and a few other trains. The
 prospect of a transcontinental journey, without something other than a
French  whore's bath, could be daunting, especially in the days before A/C. But,
then in  the olden days many folks only bathed once a week; somebody didn't just
make up  the term "Saturday night bath" out of the blue. This can still be
the case in  other places, where they aren't as fanatical as we are with the
deodorant (I've  been in some places where I wished they were-some times it would
make your eyes  water).

Anyway, the way it worked for many folks was that when you got to the  big
intercity terminals, like Union Station, and probably others in Chicago, you
rented a shower/dressing room, for $3 or so for an hour., showered, changed and
generally felt good  Still a long trip across the country from Chgo to the
west coast.I did this twice, once in '62 enroute to Okinawa for a year. I took
the EL Ltd from Dover to Chicago (it had the Tavern Lounge then, which I rode
 all the way to Meadville, except for dinner), then cross-towned in the limo
service-there were several stations then. My train, the CZ didn't leave 'til
330  or so, so I visited All-Nation Hobby Shop, then back to the station for a
 shower, then boarded the train. Did same thing in' 69 enroute to RVN. except
I  took the Broadway, and the Denver Z., then finally the Super Chief l
Some of the big overseas airports, like Heathrow, and Johannisburg have
these amenities; probably unlikely in this country-we can't even provide decent
public toilets.

Jim