RE: (erielack) Guard timber, rail, and rerailers

With a little research (which doesn't apply to the DL&W, sorry, Frank) I find on the AMC drawing
R-668-A, Standard Bridge and Tunnel Inner Guard Rail, approved by the appropriate VP of each of the
four AMC roads, the following notes:

1) Inner guard rails shall be installed on all tracks wherever girders, trusses, or other supporting
members of structures project above the rail.

2) Inner guard rails shall be installed on all tracks of open floor bridges  and on the outside
tracks only of solid floor bridges.

With subparagraphs as follows
A- On main line bridges thirty (30) feet of more in length and on side track bridges sixty (60) feet
in length on tangent tracks
B. All bridges twenty (20) feet or more in length on curved track or within three hundred (300) feet
beyond a curve in the normal direction of traffic.

3) Inner guard rails shall be installed in all timber lined tunnels.

This document (which I bought from the C&O table at the Cleveland meeting) doesn't speak to bridge
guard timbers.  There doubtlessly was another standards document that did, relating to bridges.

SGL