Re: (erielack) Guard timber, rail, and rerailers

It depends on the era.

My reprint of PRR maintenance of way drawings (original is from 1910)
shows rail as guard rails on bridges and trestles
My reprint of The American Railway (no original publication date, but
circa 1889 or 1890, has a drawing on page 220 showing the South Norwalk
drawbridge. it clearly has approx. 6x4 or 8x4  timbers (appear to be
about as wide as a tie but only half as thick) outside the rails,
between the rails on 1 track to form a walkway and between the double track.

I've never heard of guard rails in tunnels either

Frank Mellott

- --
"Burn down your cities and leave our farms, and your cities will spring up again as if by magic;
 but destroy our farms and grass will grow in the streets of every city in the country." - William Jennings Bryan

"If we go across the border, there will always be one more sanctuary just beyond the one we clean out"-John Paul Vann

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"- Benjamin Franklin

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately"-Benjamin Franklin

"Do we really think that a government-dominated education is going to produce citizens capable of dominating their government, as the education of a truly vigilant self-governing people requires?" -Alan Keyes