(erielack) Fwd: Steamtown - Tri State Collection

From: "Frank Reilly" <ftr4444_@_hotmail.com>
To: Dlw1el2_@_aol.com
Subject: Steamtown - Tri State Collection
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 10:42:26 -0400

Bob,
     For the first time in several years I went to the Tri-State meeting to
hear Pat McKnight last month.  He provided very detailed listings of what
they had alread catalogued and I was totally surprised and delighted with
his work.  He explained how he has 50 volunteers doing the cataloging and
inputting what they catalog on a computer file so it will be available on
line "some day in the not too distant future"!
     Since I'm not active in Tri-State, but remain a member, a committee
looking into the disposition of the collection contacted me several times
for my opinion.  They did it as a courtesy, but also wanted my opinion since
I spear-headed the saving of the collection.  I said that I believed the
only place where it could be safely archived and promptly catalogued was
Steamtown and I strongly urged it be given to Steamtown, even though some
people - including one Tri-State director - wanted it to stay in NJ.
      I remember the problem with getting the glass plate collection in
Syracuse Univ. cataloged -- even with the great job you and a few other
knowledgeable DL&W experts did.  I didn't want to see Rutgers or some other
university get it and "bury it".  So I kept pushing hard for Steamtown.
Thankfully all the Tri-State directors except one voted to donate it to
Steamtown.
      After listening to Pat McKnight talk about the size of the collect
donated by Tri-State, I sat there dumbfounded.  I had forgotten just how
much we had saved.  It made me feel really good that it had a good home and
a home where it is now available to the us researchers.
Frank