(erielack) Archives, Archiving, and Usage.

For several months an article I had started had been on hold and going no
where for lack of Valuation Maps ( Valve Maps ) which are very detailed maps of
the Railroad and all the facilities on the property. They were produced by
all  Railroads during and just after World War 1 to show the federal government
what  each Railroad had. Each map shows approximately one mile worth of
property.

One of the really nice things about the ELHS archives is that they have a
lot ( not quite a complete set) of Valve Prints. The bad thing for me is that
they are in Ohio, not quite conducive for me to stop by and look  at.  My next
option was to buy about six or seven at about 80-100  bucks, which I was
willing to do to move this project forward. The next  snag I then hit was that the
company that did the scanning of these maps,  for which I'm told  the Society
got a good deal, does not deal retail and  thus needs a minimum order of about
40 to do any printing, of maps they  have already scanned. :(  Hmm  is all
I'll say about that.    I was not willing to spend three or four hundred dollars
on a minimum  order.

The Tri State Historical Society NRHS Chapter did a great deed about 20
years ago when it rescued the material out of Hoboken that other wise would have
become part of the meadowlands dump, like a lot of other material did.   The
other great deed they did is finally turn it over to Steamtown Historic  Site
so that for the first time in 20 years it can start to be   cataloged and  more
importantly used.  Somewhere along the line  in the last six weeks I guess I
mentioned to  Pat McKnight at Steamtown,  just in passing, my predicament
pertaining to valve prints.  Low and behold  in only the five weeks that Pat has
had the Tri State collection he found  and totally catalogs, files, and boxes
several hundred valve prints and  then on his own contacts me stating he
thinks he has exactly what I need. I was  skeptical and exuberantly optimistic at
the same time.

 BTW. I should also mention that Pats and one of his volunteers also
previously with in 10 days of having the Tri State collection forwarded to me  copies
of material out of another completely different file on a  subject that they
knew I had an interest in.

So that another friend could go with me on the weekend, Pat graciously gave
up three hours of his day off, and met us at Steamtown Saturday morning.
When we walked in, there were six large boxes lay ed out on the research  table.
All contained Valve Prints in brand new folders, marked and  cataloged in
order by the reference number on the valve print.   After  finding the print at
three different locations that I needed Pat made large  Xeroxes of just what we
needed.  When we left Steamtown  that morning  it hadn't cost me a penny,
only a VERY BIG THANK YOU.

The rest of the day was successfully spent locating three very obscure
locations and documenting and measuring eight additional structures. A VERY  good
day in the field indeed. With out the maps we would have never found what  we
were looking for in 100 years, but because of Pat McKnights generosity and
willingness to help, I now won't have to live that long. :)

When I  try to relate to the reality of the whole scenario, I feel  very
lucky, and have a sense that it just doesn't get any better than  that.

Bob Bahrs

PS. Thanks Again Pat