RE: (erielack) 1963 Notes

It is interesting to note that on that day, the last train through downtown Passaic was 100% ex-Lackawanna.

Ed

________________________________

From: Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul) [mailto:paultup_@_alcatel-lucent.com]
Sent: Tue 4/3/2007 2:48 PM
To: erielack_@_lists.elhts.org
Subject: RE: (erielack) 1963 Notes

Jim Gerofsky wrote:

> One final 1963 note. Tomorrow, April 2, is the 44th
> anniversary of the 1963 ceremony regarding the retirement of
> the Main Line through downtown Passaic.
>   The special dignitaries train (with the 819 and two 1300
> coaches) rolled in from Paterson around 11:30 am, and the
> first section of track was symbolically lifted just ahead of
> it.  Most if not all of you have seen the shots of this in
> the various Morning Sun books.  Passaic was looking forward
> to a bright future on that day, the triumph of automotive
> modernity.  Ironic how things work out sometimes.

Speaking of irony, I just realized that the "ceremonial train" used for
this event was made up of all former DL&W equipment!

And yes, the Passaic town fathers thought it was the railroad that was
ruining downtown. 44 years later, I think they realize that wasn't the
problem. ;)

        http://www.elhts.org <http://www.elhts.org/>