RE: (erielack) OFF TOPIC QUESTION

One little annecdote.  The NYC applied to New Jersey State and New York
State to abandon passenger service on the West Shore.  New York said no,
and New Jersey said yes.  So the NYC ran its trains in New York as far as
the state line, and put the passengers off there. How's that for customer
service?
In 1955 and 56' I used to ride the ferries from 42nd St to Weehawken, to
work as a freight handler there, or to ride the lite engines off the
commuter trains to the North Bergen engine terminal, where I worked as
roundhouse laborer.   I don't recall having to wait any great length of
time for the ferries.
One of the commodities shipped in box cars used to be raw hides.  They were
exactly that; the skins of animals from slaughter houses, tied in neat
little bundles.  I handled them once, and they were drippy.  There's a true
story that after working with the rawhides one day, some freight handlers
took the ferry back to New York, and got on the cross town trolley car; and
everybody else on the car moved to the other end.  I guess that wasn't one
of the old cars, with open sides.
Philip Martin