RE: (erielack) EL GP38-2's

> From what I understand, the EL ordered some GP38-2's right
> before Conrail.
> Obviously they were never in GYM paint, but when and where
> did they arrive?
> Were they in delivered in CR blue and do they exist today?

The EL ordered 20 GP38-2's from EMD and 19 U23Bs from GE. The GE's got
as far as having a painting diagram drawn up, and reportedly the first
few were under construction on the factory floor at GE when the EL
cancelled both orders, knowing CR was on the near horizon.

The GP38-2's never really got beyond the order paperwork stage, while
the GE's under construction were apparently redirected to an L&N order -
modified to L&N specs before delivery.

That DOESN'T keep you from painting your own, though - I have an
undecorated Atlas U23B sitting in the basement waiting to be painted up
as EL 2301. :)