Re: (erielack) EL GP38-2's

There is a note about the EL U23B's in one of the In Color books that
basically says the same thing.  I can't remember what the Diesel Era U23B
coverage said specifically, but there is an order number and several were on
the shop floor when the order was cancelled.  If you have back issues,
you're looking for 12/03 and 1/04 I think.

Somewhere there is a JPG floating around (railfan.net maybe, or the list
archives) of the paint diagram that's been colorized in GMY, courtesy me
when I had too much time on my hands a number of years ago.

The last two PC non dash-2 GP38s (I forget if they're 7934-5 or 38-9) were a
cancelled LV order; the only new power to go to anyone as part of Conrail
were the 12 LV U23Bs which the USRA financed.   PRSL did get a few GP38s
that showed up with PC noodles, no lettering, and in their number series,
because PC could finance them and PRSL couldn't, but that's about the only
other example where the engines actually showed up on the property.  Conrail
would later get the very last U23B's built, but they were a Conrail order.

And as a small side note, CR also got 4 U36Bs that were built to L&N specs
for Auto-Train, but that order was cancelled after they were built.  Kind of
a full circle there.

Bill K.