(erielack) DL&W truck mystery

To view or download the image(s), click on or cut and paste the
following URL into your web browser:

http://lists.railfan.net/listthumb.cgi?erielack-02-20-07

Coal_P1.jpg (image/jpeg, 1378x1775 466345 bytes, BF: 5.24 ppb)
Coal_P2.jpg (image/jpeg, 1377x1736 915993 bytes, BF: 2.61 ppb)
Coal_P3.jpg (image/jpeg, 1376x1735 431649 bytes, BF: 5.53 ppb)

Green and List,

At some point, I'll guess soon after the turn of the century, the
railroads had to divest themselves of their retail coal business
because of some Court decision.

The railroads set up separate coal companies. The DL&W had
the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Coal Company. For some
reason, the ownership and operation of the Oswego and Buffalo
coal trestles were transferred to the Coal Company.

This lasted until midnight, April 22, 1931 when the ownership and
operation (and employees) were transferred back to the DL&W
railroad. I'm not clear what precipitated this. See attached a copy
of the transfer.

This is another one of those unexplored areas that needs further
research. I thank Pat McKnight for these files.

Ronald R. Dukarm  ELHS #532 ELHTS #66
rdukarm_@_adelphia.net