Re: (erielack) Verti-Stack

Bill,

Can you possibly post some photos? The only container that comes to mind was used exclusively (and briefly) by the UP. However it was a single deck container, maybe 5' or 6' tall designed for triple-stacking. I think it used a specially designed two-platform articulated flatcar rather than a conventional stack car. The only photos I've seen are of an Overland brass HO model. BN handled autos in conventional 48' containers outfitted with an interior rack to handle a total of 4 autos on 2 levels. However I don't think they called it "Verti-Stack". They were used Chicago-west coast. Both of these methods were implemented in the late-80's-early-90's by which time most or all autoracks were fully-enclosed, so I think the main objective was reduced handling rather than load protection. Evidently, the cost savings compared with the autorack weren't there. If I come across anything I'll let you know.

This is not to be confused with the early-1970's "Vert-a-Pak", which was an 89' car which handled autos (Chevy Vegas and possibly others) in a vertical position. The design was about as successful as the Vega.

Paul B

While out railfanning with friends recently, we found what looked like a
storage shed. "That's a Verti-Stack container," explained one of the fellows and
suggested I take pix.

As it was explained to me, Verti-Stack was a container for shipping small
automoibiles by rail. The vehicle was placed in the Vert-Stack (which  appears
to contain two compartments -- one lower, one upper) and loaded  (by folklift)
onto a flat car for shipping. It  was considered safer  that the (then)
open-air auto racks and supposidly cut down on the amount of  manpower required to
ship the vehicles.

Although I took pix, I do not have any photos of these things in service.
Anyone on this list able to help?

Bill Shapotkin