Re: (erielack) DL&W truck mystery

I did a Google search on the "Milwaukee-Western Fuel Co."  They had a beautiful art-deco HQ building in Milwaukee that was preserved.  On the building fascia is a relief of a coal miner.http://www.agilitynut.com/deco/wi.htmlThere is much more here to research.T----- Original Message -----From: Njricky2_@_aol.comDate: Monday, February 19, 2007 12:29 amSubject: Re: (erielack) DL&W truck mysteryTo: paultup@comcast.net, erielack@lists.elhts.org> > Paul,> > I have a good friend who grew up in Milwaukee. She's old enough > to know  > whether or not that fuel company was there in WI or not. I'll > forward this  to her > and if she has anything to offer, I'll forward it to the list.> > Rick> > In a message dated 2/18/2007 8:13:34 PM Eastern Standard Time,  > paultup@comcast.net writes:> > Lister  Mike Dodge showed me an issue of a truck enthusiast > magazine > ("Hemmings Motor  News", March 2006) today that had an article > entitled "Coal on the > Roll." The  article focused on the various types of trucks used > to deliver coal > to the  home in the early part of the 20th century.> > The intriguing item was the  photo leading the article - a pair > of > scissors-type mechanical lift trucks  (circa-1920 built) with > black cabs, and the doors > were labeled "DL&W  SCRANTON COAL". The cabs also read "No. 37" > and "No. 36" > along their roofline,  respectively.> > What makes the image even more perplexing is that the  trucks > are in front of > a large building that reads "Milwaukee-Western Fuel  Co."  The > text of the > article that references this photo reads: "At the  Milwaukee-> Western Fuel > Company, the cab doors of what we think are a couple of  Schacht > trucks from the > 1920s advertise that their coal is soot-free  anthracite from > northeastern > Pennsylvania, delivered by the Delaware,  Lackawanna and Western > Railroad."> So this begs a couple of  questions:> > * How many of these trucks were lettered for DL&W coal  service?> * The Lackawanna did local delivery? Or did they have a  > licensing/marketi!
 ng > agr
eement with local coal retailers?> * Where was this  "Milwaukee-Western Fuel Co." located?> * Does anyone have any other photos  of these intriguing trucks?> > -  Paul> > The Erie Lackawanna Mailing List> Sponsored by the ELH&TS> http://www.elhts.org> To Unsubscribe:  http://lists.elhts.org/erielackunsub.html> > > > > > > 	The Erie Lackawanna Mailing List> 	Sponsored by the ELH&TS> 	http://www.elhts.org> 	To Unsubscribe: http://lists.elhts.org/erielackunsub.html>