(erielack) Verti-Stack

While out railfanning with friends recently, we found what looked like a
storage shed. "That's a Verti-Stack container," explained one of the fellows and
suggested I take pix.

As it was explained to me, Verti-Stack was a container for shipping small
automoibiles by rail. The vehicle was placed in the Vert-Stack (which  appears
to contain two compartments -- one lower, one upper) and loaded  (by folklift)
onto a flat car for shipping. It  was considered safer  that the (then)
open-air auto racks and supposidly cut down on the amount of  manpower required to
ship the vehicles.

Although I took pix, I do not have any photos of these things in service.
Anyone on this list able to help?

Bill Shapotkin

_TrainGG1_@_aol.com_ (mailto:TrainGG1@aol.com)