RE: (erielack) DL&W HW Parlor Cars

Bill,

Since Julia Ward Howe and Virginia Dare were plan 3416A, the same as the
Walthers kit, I think the kit is a good starting point. The LIRR photo shows
that the compartment side of the actual car is a good match for the kit
(ignoring the modernized windows- you can see where the originals were). It
does look like the A/C duct is on the wrong side of the car in the kit, and
the A/C type should be ice rather than mechanical, but I suspect those will
be easy to fix.

I'm still trying to find an early 50's photo of either of these (I haven't
gone through my book collection yet), so I can't say for sure when they were
painted. The 1954 roster lists them as GMY rather than green
(http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/pax/dlw-1954.html).

The 1950's public timetable (http://raildata.railfan.net/dlw/dlwhome.html)
lists parlor cars being used on the eastbound Phoebe Snow (#6) and the
westbound Twilight (#5). I don't recall many Phoebe Snow pictures with other
than GMY equipment, so they were probably painted right around 1949 with the
introduction of that service. But, I haven't found a photo yet.

Michael