(erielack) Re: 74, meat, run thrus

Jim and Group,

NE-74 connections off CB&Q (then BN) were as follows:

82 from Twin Cities and Pacific northwest
64 from Denver
66 from Grand Island (Runthru off UP from North Platte)
68 from KC

All of these trains (in fact, most hotshots arriving Chicago from the west)
were due around midnight. Cutoff for receipt of this traffic at 51st St was
5am. There it was reclassified; the NE-74 groups were 15-via Maybrook (icers
on headend), 18-NY Term. By 1973 groups 16-Mahwah and 17-Port Jervs had been
added. Traffic to other destinations went later on TC-100, PN-98 and 78.
64,66 and 68 were reblocked at Galesburg and could be combined there on
light traffic days. The EL block was probably created there, then traffic
off 82 was added at Cicero. The schedule says "Locomotives operate between
St Paul and Croxton".

There was another CB&Q train from KC #70 due Cicero at 1pm. If it had any
meat trailers they were rubbered to the EL for movement on NY-100 or Adv 100
when it was running.

The power pooling did achieve better loco utilization but the main reason
for the runthroughs was to save time. Cars interchanged in Chicago the usual
way could spend days there, where as the NE-74 arrangement shaved it down to
9 or 10 hours.

Paul B