Re: (erielack) Becker Farm Railroad AKA Centerville and Southwestern Railroad

Funny people should be mentioning the C&SW since I stumbled across this
web site not too long ago. There are personal memories attached to the
C&SW since my dad used to take us there when we were kids. In fact, my
dad even blessed one of the fence posts in the parking lot once with the
front bumper of his 1950 Willys-Overland truck (I always thought they
named it after me). He had replaced the front bumper with a 1/4 inch
thick steel channel beam since he used the truck for his gas station
business and one time in the parking lot while his four kids were
distracting him, he clipped one of the fence posts. The bumper and the
fence post both survived, but also bore the marks of the encounter ever
after.

As for milk in Orange, that's were my dad grew up. I asked him about
this. Becker's had a facility on one of the north-south streets east and
north of the Orange station, I can't for the life of me remember the
street name and will have to look on a map, but it was one or two
streets east and north of the station (Day or Center Street? Can't
remember). Becker's would send wagons over to the Orange yard and would
unload creates of milk, cream etc., from the milk cars into the wagons.
The Orange facility was mostly a stable and storage for the horse draw
milk wagons and later a garage for the Divco trucks.

I have many happy memories of playing in the Orange yard back in the
1960's when down at the grandparents house on the weekends. They lived a
block away on the corner of Scotland Road and Frankfort. I couldn't have
thought of a better playground. Now it is 8 or 10 lanes of I280.

Regards,

Will Shultz