(erielack) Advance 100

Thanks much to Bill McDonald for that explanation of what the short-lived
Advance 100 operation was about back in 1969.  There's a nice shot of it on
p. 127 of Bob Collins' Erie RR Trackside.  It was taken on March 16, 1969,
which indeed was a Sunday, at Arden NY, about 30-odd miles from Croxton.
The lighting at that location says around noon, maybe even before.  So the
train must have left Chicago a bit before 6PM Saturday on that weekend.  The
train had 4 E8s and 22 TOFC cars, and probably made a very fast run.  But an
18 hour run across the EL was just not possible.

I would speculate that Advance 100 was the subject of an internal tug-of-war
within the EL.  The marketing people that Bill almost worked for probably
wanted more time for the traffic to develop; maybe 6 to 9 months.  The
accounting department at that time was possibly thinking about that big E-6
bond maturation due in late '69, and the havoc it was going to play with
EL's cash flow.  A 20 or 30 car super hot-shot probably didn't fully
reimburse its operating costs (especially for refrigerated meat, which, as
Paul Brezicki pointed out earlier, generated a lot of L&D claims).  From
what I heard, Adv 100 was gone by summer.

I do recall seeing some slides taken by Ray Scott in April 69 of a set of 4
or 5 Alco PA's coming into Croxton on Advance 100.    He got a tip from one
of the dispatchers about it.  The shots were "dusky", as it was a typical
Adv 100 arrival in Croxton around 6 or 7 PM.  This might have been the PA's
last trip to the EL's east end, as they were traded-in later in 69.

Jim Gerofsky