Re: (erielack)OT L&WV aka Laurel Line Tunnel Question

Frank P Adams wrote:

>On page 4 of the Henwood "Laurel Line" book it says that the gauntlet track
>thru the south Scranton tunnel was protected by an "electric staff system
>consisting of a staff box located in an operator's booth at each junction"
>It goes on to say that each box had 40 staffs and over time they became bent
>or damaged.  In 1915 a canvas bad was installed so conductors of south bound
>trains could throw the staff into it to be retrieved later "by the operator
>and returned to the machine"

A token system has a machine at each end of a track section where only
one train is allows at a time. The tow machines are interlock so only
one token can be taken out at a time. A train approaching this section,
takes a token from machine A, proceeds through the section and inserts
the token back into machine B.  No another train can take a token and
proceed in either direction.

This system AFAIK was developed in Great Britain  Later token systems
allowed the token to be picked up and returned at speed.

I guess there was a signalman at the south end who would insert the
token back into the machine.  The motrmen were probably trying to insert
at speed and di not let go fast enough.

>Does anyone know exactly what this system was and how it operated?  Remember
>the Laurel Line used an electrified third rail.

This has nothing to do with the token system

bob gillis