(erielack) Re: "Human Remains" in Consist

When I worked for REA Express in their NYC E. 38th St. computer center
c. 1963, I came across ICC regulations for shipping remains. It detailed
the construction of an outer shipping container of wood, even as to the
sizes of wood to be used and specifically the sizes of nails in various
locations. And I may be mistaken on the detail here, but the regulation
specified that the remains were to be carried head first, but positioned
in the baggage or express car feet first (I may have the direction
wrong, but the carrying direction and the travel direction were detailed
in the reg.) I uysed this regulation in later MBA courses for papers on
government regulation of business. I also gave the example to later
classes that railroad management under the ICC was usually not very
creative - they simply had to follow the pertinent ICC directives, and
if none existed, petition the ICC to write a new directive. However,
railroad management in my estimation became extremely creative in
interpreting how to apply the often conflicting directives and get the
trains running on time and the passengers and freight delivered to their
destinations.

It never ceased to amaze me that the ICC would concern itself with the
construction of outer shipping containers for caskets and remains, even
down to the size of the various nails used.

REA shipped a lot of remains as they could most expeditiously deliver
the containers to a funeral parlor. Rail shipped remains, like air
shipped remains today, must be picked up by a mortuary at the station or
airport, and I doubt if interline "baggage" agreements would have
allowed transfer to another railroad. REA offered "one carrier service"
anywhere. Every so often now you can see an obvious shipping container
going up the conveyor belt into an airplane cargo hold.
Joel McEachen