(erielack) A Penny ...

To view or download the image(s), click on or cut and paste the
following URL into your web browser:

http://lists.railfan.net/listthumb.cgi?erielack-03-07-06

HomeStation.jpg (image/jpeg, 1251x1300 219108 bytes, BF: 7.42 ppb)

   Thank you to the lidt members who replied to my question on- and off-list for the (thankfully) serious answers to my question about the pratice of putting pennies on the rails. The practice is very much a 'tiny piece' of railroad history, but, as I noted, I don't ever tell the visiting children about it because I don't want to encourage or suggest something dangerous. I do want to mention it in a little blurb in our newsletter (to adult society members) but I wanted to couch it in terms of the great potential hazards in so doing.
    I had been told that a train could derail because of that, but I found that hard to believe. That was why I turned to the experts for the truth in the railroad urban legends. I am grateful know that it *is* an urban legend.
   This image is another from the "cliff dweller" booklet, which I thought might be of some small interest. I scanned the top image to try to read the station sign and it seems to say 'Maplewood.' I don't know if that is correct and I don't know where the bottom station is.
Lynne