Re: (erielack) Calendar time

Tom,

I imagine that bad weather (i.e. snow/sleet) could make life miserable for
a crew member with a long commute and short notice.  I wonder if the
engineer you speak of, in former times, could/would have used passenger
service between Sayre and Hornell.  I know that into the 80s and 90s there
were a few EL/DL&W guys who worked with NJ Transit and who lived in the
Poconos.  I guess it's possible that they moved there later on, but they
may have also been there since the 50s and 60s when you could "still get
there" into NJ by train.

I'm wondering how many members of this list commuted by train to their
reporting point on the railroad.

Chuck

                      "Tom Beckett"
                      <tabeckett_@_stny.rr.
                      com>                To:     <erielack_@_lists.elhts.org>
                      Sent by:            cc:
                      erielack-owner_@_list Subject:
                      s.elhts.org                 Re: (erielack) Calendar time

                      03/01/2006 11:45 AM
                      Please respond to
                      "Tom Beckett"

My guess would be anywhere in the NY/NJ metro area, and likely the Pocono
region. I never really talked to anyone about that particular topic, but
that would be the logical assumption. I know some of the guys up here
commuted quite a distance. I knew an engineer who used to live in Sayre,
Pa,
and would make it to Hornell in record time on a two hour call. I know he
was glad when CR made Gang Mills the crew point!!

TAB