Re: (erielack) Calendar time

Chuck and List
All the commuting by train wasn't done by M&E and NY Division men -- in the
late '50's and thru the closing of the DL&W Terminal in Downtown Buffalo on
30 June 1962 a locomotive engineer, George Spizzano, lived in Groveland
(where in late steam and early diesel days he had worked a Groveland
pusher).  With the elimination of the Groveland pushers (trains were
apparently power to get up Groveland Hill or they doubled it) he bid in and
was awarded a daylight switcher at the Buffalo Passenger Station.  He
commuted from Groveland or, usually, Mount Morris.  Went home on #10, the
New York Mail, which left Buffalo about 5:00 PM daily except Sunday and came
back to work on the Westerner or some such train arriving in the early
morning well in time to let George give third trick a good relief.   One of
his last assignments of the day would be to make up the train he would go
home on.
         It was a mark of the DL&W (and later EL's) timlieness that George
could and did protect an assignment with no failure.
        My own EL "commuting," albeit by freight, was at Binghamton where,
while working as a yard clerk but lacking a car in my college days, I would
get from Binghamton QD/Passenger station to and from East Binghamton BY via
transfer or pullers which always seemed to materialize at an appropriate
time.
M J Connor