Re: (erielack) Re: Coney Island's in Scranton

For all u guys talking about the CONEY ISLAND HOTS........
         FIRST - is the hot dog place still in the old building at the
Northwest corner of Lackawanna Ave. & Cedar Ave?? This was right across the
street from Tony Hardings aqnd was more the type of place you'd go to get a
couple hotdogs & coke if you hadn't eaten before going on duty. Tony
Hardings was a place for a 'sitdown' meal & much classier. The CONEY ISLAND
HOTS was in the basement of the old building across the street & it
showed........concrete walls, dimly lighted, a counter & a few rugged
booths. The waitresses were rugged too. One time I went in there & the
counter girl had a helluva shiner. That's a little too tough for me.....you
get the feeling that maybe you ought to do something about it..maybe come
back of the counter & kick the managers ass.
      Scranton was noted for other 'hot' things too. I was in my early 20s
and was talking to my dad about the DL&W shops and the massive retaining
wall on the side toward Roaring Brook where there's a big stone staircase
coming down from the locomotive shops to the street. From here, it'd only be
a few steps to the Laurel Line station & a quick ride home for those who
lacked their own automobile as many did in the 20s & 30s. Dad made some
remark to the effect that there were a lot of w----houses there too & many
of the guys spent time inside of them on payday. I asked "How did that work,
dad??".
He explained that as you walked by, the young ladies would sit in the
windows and perhaps open the tops of their dresses or otherwise display the
pleasures to be enjoyed therein. If you liked the merchandise, you went in
and made 'arrangements'. I forgot about this conversation until much
later.................. When I was working in Binghamton in the early 60s, I
had been dating a young lady at the nearby college who had gotten a little
too intense, so  I skipped school for a while. Sadly for me, she called my
parents home in West Pittston at 3am and the next time I went down there for
a Sunday dinner, my mother confronted me over the roast chicken. "Walter, no
DECENT young lady would call a boys home in the middle of the night. I said
"Mom, things are very different from when you & dad were my age. Dad could
go to one of those places in Scranton and."........Mom let out a yell to the
effect that "IF YOUR FATHER EVER WENT TO ANY OF THOSE PLACES, I DIDN'T KNOW
ABOUT IT!!!"
          Big mistake on my part  - poor dad almost choked on a drumstick,
then loudly cleared his throat and said"I thin Walter's learned his lesson,
Ruth and we can change the subject now"
          Good old Scranton and the DL&W.  THE WAY IT USED TO BE.
Regards to all,
Walter E. Smith---- Original Message -----