RE: (erielack) Seatrain (was: NY-98 spotting feature)

Paul B. wrote:

> > in 1970 (Oakland-Houston via WP-ATSF). The NY containerport was at
> Weehawken
> > ("Port Seatrain"), a short hop from N Bergen but the
> landbridge operation
> > was certainly not "dock to dock". I don't imagine you could
> get today's
> > containerships up there.

No way! Actually, towards the end wasn't Seatrain running out of Port Newark? (for the same reasons you mention about getting container ships up the Hudson River)

> Do you have any shots of Seatrain
> corrugated
> ctrs?

Here's one for you....  http://www.matts-place.com/intermodal/part1/images/stlu1395543f_je.jpg
This style of container post-dates the EL, you would only see the 40' smoothside containers. For modelers, conveniently, the Athearn smoothside 40' container is an exact match, and Microscale makes a great set of decals for them, too....