(erielack) RE: SF-100 consist sheet - ORER look-up

Per Paul Brezicki's request re: the SF-100 consist sheet:

> While you're l/u that ATSF car in the ORIC, check out some of
> those "D"
> cars.

This was a good excuse to go and dig up my October 1974 Official Railway
Equipment Register (ORER). This is a GREAT reference for modelers, and I
highly recommend picking up a copy of the approximate time you're modeling.

Now, for those mysterious "D"-classification cars:

1 SOU 503943 LD@  45 MERCHSE EHANOVER  NJ VORNADO             DN

- ------> XM - box, steel

1 USLX 11121 LD@  90 OTHFOOD NEWYORK   NY EJGALLO             CO

- ------> Oddly, not in the 10/74 ORER - the closest class is 11125-11144, RBL
- - Box, insulated

1 ATSF621662 LD@  84 OTHFOOD FARMINGDL NY EJGALLO             CO

- ------>  XLI - box, insulated, dual air-pak

1 SFRB  6576 LD@  98 OTHFOOD HACKENSAC NJ BUITONI             CO

- ------>  RBL - refrig., shock control, SL loader, 50K

1 MILW  8447 LD@  45 MACHNRY KEARNY    NJ COOPER              CO

- ------> XL - Box, 9 DF 1 Belt Rails

1 MILW 32338 LD@  45 MACHNRY FARMINGDA NY AMANA     LI  YA    CO

- ----->  XM - Box, 25K

So, what does this mean? Not much - we still haven't identified
specificically what "D" means. Paul B. theorized it might be another term
for a boxcar - in a way, I suppose it could be, but why have two different
classes?

      - Paul

- --
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.