RE: (erielack) Boonton Line freight trains-analysis

Paul,

CS-9 usually on duty between 1000-1400 hrs.or after the rest of the crew depending on which eastbound crew was rested for CS9. Did setout/pick up at Denville (until East Dover was reopened or if the 2nd Dover didn't make it back to Dover and tied up on old track 3 or the wye at Denville) Dover, Chester Jct., Port Morris and Portland.  I'm not sure what other work was performed on the Scranton Division.  Chester Jct was cars for the CNJ (some empty/loaded sand cars for Thatcher glass).  Local cars for the Chester Branch were usually taken to East Dover or Port Morris.  Whichever was convienent at the time.

SC8/PN98 usually on duty between 0600 and 1000 hrs at Scranton.  The train always showed up at Port Morris just in time to be held for the afternoon rush hour.  If the train couldn't make Great Notch by 1630 it was held at Port Morris.  Eastbound work was done at Portland, Port Morris and Chester Jct.  The stuff at Chester Jct. was usually empties off the Chester Branch and whatever CNJ gave us out of Thatcher Glass and other customers.

ND-91 was a real work of art.  When the train was taken off the Erie side here's what happened.  An ordinary was called out of Croxton with local stuff for Ford etc at Mahwah.  After the crew put that away at Suffern, they then had to build ND-91 in reverse of the way it ran on the Erie side.  That would take 4-5 hours of switching to do.  When the train was ready, it ran to Croxton.  The blocking would be in the wrong direction from Suffern to Croxton and when the train went around the horn at Croxton it was then made up in the right direction to head west via Scranton.  The dispatcher on the west end side had to talk with the conductor on the ordinary to make sure what blocks went where on the train out of Suffern.  The yardmaster at Mahway usually called the dispatcher in Hoboken and told you what was located where and how many in each block. It was a real nightmare.  ND91 ordinary was usually in Suffern in mid to late afternoon making up the train.  The train left Croxton
 westbound about 1030 pm or so.

NY98 was usually called Scranton between 0800 and 1000 hours.  This was a  regular to stall going over Great Notch right in front of the westbound commmuter parade. Figure Great Notch between 1400-1600 hours.

BC2 usually called Scranton about 2000 hours to 0100 hours.  This was EL's heavy train out of Buffalo.  This monster (back then it was a monster) averaged between 7,000 to 10,000 tons. It was mostly loads of lumber or paper from CP or CN, flour off Buffalo Creek etc. and export stuff.  If ever there was a train that always showed up at the wrong time....this was it.  It was usually too long to fit in Greendell which meant once it left Stoudsburg, you had to take the mother all the way to Port Morris and hope you didn't lay out any hotshots (NY99 CX99).

When we were lowering (undercutting the bridges at Dover) you essentially had a single track railroad from Bells Bridge to Lincoln Park as one track at a time was out of service at Dover to lower Prospect Street and Salem Street bridges.  It was night mare to work as a dispatcher under those condtions.

Rich

"Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul)" <paultup_@_lucent.com> wrote:
Thank you!!! You've now given me the freight portion of operating sessions on my future layout... :)

Do you have approximate times for the road freights (CS-9, SC-8, PN-87, ND-91, NY-98, etc.?)

Speaking of which, we just sold the house in Dover, and are looking for a new place. Better school district is the main reason, but a bigger basement too... :)

    - Paul