RE: (erielack) Boonton Line freight trains-analysis

Paul, & list

Here goes;

About 0730 the Totowa Roustabout would leave CX, worked from Little Falls to the spur, usually back to CX about 1830.  Sometimes it was necessary to relieve the crew as there was just too much work (about 21 customers on the spur alone)  This job also did Mueller Brass in Little Falls and Drakes Cakes in Mt. View.  There was swapping of Little Falls and Mt. View work between the Roustabout and Greenwood Lake haul.  It depended on how the jobs were bulletined at what time frame and who was the trainmaster for the area.

About 0800 the Greenwood Lake Haul/Silver Lake.  If my memory is correct these jobs were combined near the end of the EL.  Did work on Orange Branch (what was left) along the main to Little Falls and Mt. View as necessary.  When the Caldwell Branch was open this job went up there as necesaary and that really wasn't much before the washouts that took the branch out of service.

About 0900 the Horn Train,(?) the Newark Branch job went out to Seaboard, Newark and was advertised to Nutley but rarely made it that far.  They were usually back in to CX early about 1500 or earlier.

The 1st Boonton Drill went on duty in Dover about 1100 hrs.  went to Boonton and back to Dover by 1800 hours usually.

The 2nd Boonton Drill went on duty at 0200 hours in Dover and went to Boonton and was uasually back to Dover by between 0930 and 1100 hours.

Both Boonton Drills were advertised to Croxton to take water loads (sludge) from Drew and dump it in Penn Horn Creek in Croxton (if the EPA only knew) and bring back the empties to Drew.  Although advertised as such, trips to Croxton were rare.  This usually only occurred when CS-9 SC-8 (or PN-98 depending on the year) were running late and cars were getting out of cycle for Drew.

I'm sure someone will dispute what I sent here, but you are talking about almost 30 years ago....

Rich

"Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul)" <paultup_@_lucent.com> wrote:
So here's the question of the week - what trains ran over the Boonton Line in those years (including locals), and what times (approximately) did they depart/arrive CX?

:)

    - Paul