Re:RE: (erielack) EL stands for ERIE LACKAMONEY

I heard it as Erie Lackawampum -- always an Erie problem, thanks to Jay Gould and Jim Fisk and others who never seemed to come away the poorer for their involment.

Randy Brown
Considering all of the regulations EL was under, it was difficult for them to operate even with good management.  It might have been a different story if congress had permitted deregulation in the early 70s. EL may have become a stronger road with N&W pleased to take them on as a partner.

Here's a thought though:  EL always seemed to have pretty good labor management relationships.  If EL had survived and had ultimately merged with N&W or AT&SF, would that good spirit continue on?  Probably PC could have used a lot more EL management on the top but I believe politics kind of kept that in the PC camp.

The first time I ever heard of Erie Lackamoney was when I was visiting friends in Marion, Ohio in the winter of 1976.  The local newspaper used that term as a lot of people were concerned about their jobs knowing that CR would close the EL operation down.

Ed Montgomery