Re: (erielack) Odd signal

Although it looks like the bulb is turned off, it is in reality connected
to a low voltage circuit.  It isn't enough to light the bulb, but it keeps
the filament warm and avoids the thermal shock of turning the bulb on and
off entirely.  This gets most of the savings in battery power and bulb
life.

- --- erie910 <erie910_@_fastmail.fm> wrote:
> A question for you signal maintainers:  I assume that the purpose of
> having the signals not lit when there was no train in or approaching the
> block was to save electricity.  Did the savings in electricity offset
> the additional wear on the bulbs from turning them on and off?

Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7
Rockaway, New Jersey

http://www.geocities.com/gkazin/index.html